• GEORGE C. GRIFFIN TRACK & FIELD FACILITY

    THE GEORGE C. GRIFFIN TRACK & FIELD FACILITY, ALREADY CONSIDERED ONE OF THE TOP SITES IN THE SOUTHEAST FOR OUTDOOR COLLEGIATE TRACK COMPETITION, WAS IMPROVED AS PART OF GEORGIA TECH’S PREPARATION FOR THE CENTENNIAL OLYMPIC GAMES.

    Griffin Track was originally built in the summer of 1985. The facility is named after national Hall of Fame coach George C. Griffin, who guided both the Yellow Jacket track and cross country programs from 1921-25 and 1934-43 and remained the cross country coach until 1974.

    Griffin Track was renovated with a state-of-the-art Mondo surface, similar to those used at Olympic Stadium and at the sites of the World Championships, USA Track and Field Indoor Championships and NCAA Indoor Championships, and was used as the workout track for the Olympic Village.

    The Georgia Tech track teams’ locker rooms were also renovated as part of the $10 million re-creation of the Alexander Memorial Coliseum at McDonald’s Center, which served as the boxing venue during the Games.

    In addition to Griffin Track’s state of the art surface and locker rooms, the facility is enhanced by a scenic location which combines natural beauty with Atlanta’s modern skyline.